Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Introduction

My name is Larissa Nyman. I am from Logan, Utah. I was born in here in Logan and moved to North Logan. I definitely call Cache Valley home. I have been married for barely a year on August 9th. My husband and I enjoy playing board games, watching movies and being with family. On my own time I love reading, traveling and running. I have participated in various races in Utah. The Ogden Half Marathon is my all time favorite. It is held in the month of May and you run through the Ogden Canyon. I work as a Preschool Teacher at Best Friends and a Assistant Cheer Coach at Air-bound Gymnastics.

I am a Family Consumer Science Education Major. I have heard that is quite the mouthful. I have learned through telling others that this major is more commonly known as Home Economics. Within this major we cover five major areas. They are: Food & Nutrition, Child Development, Sewing, Interior Design and Consumerism. I was drawn to this major because of the Child Development area. In high school I was able to attend a Child Care class that also had a Preschool within it. The students were taught by the teacher how to be Preschool teachers. That is exactly what I want to do in the future. I love the high school age and the Preschool age. Therefore, why not have best of both worlds. One of my favorite parts of this major is the variety of everything. I know as a teacher I will never be bored because I will be certified to teach in ten plus classes. I also believe these classes to be worthwhile for everyone to know. These skills are essential to know in life. Everyone will benefit by taking a FACS class in either Jr. High or High School.

My current definition of literacy is the ability to either read or write. I am not very knowledgable on literacy and am excited to learn more about this semester. In the classes I will be able to teach it is required for the students to be literate. They must be able to read a textbook, write a paper, follow a recipe, follow a sewing pattern, convert measurements, etc. As stated before, I am excited to be able to learn more about literacy and how to implement it with my future students. I know that it will benefit them and also myself as a teacher.

1 comment:

  1. That's great that you are working in a pre-school...I'm sure that will give you a lot of great experience for the child development courses that you teach. For your "text set" for this course, if you want to make a list of apps you would use in a pre-school classroom, you could do that if you wanted. (Just brainstorming ideas here.)

    I look forward to reading more of your ideas as the semester progresses. :)

    ReplyDelete